Home

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!!!

Happy New Year to you and yours! (How corny...) I am ready to go back to work. Why? Read on.

Recent conversations:

(As I pull into my driveway)
Moma: I was thinking that this is where Julie lives.
Me: It is Moma. I am Julie.
Moma: You are?

(One night about 11:30, she appears in the den)
Moma: Do y'all have breakfast?
Me: Yes Moma, I fix your breakfast every morning.
Moma: You do? Well, reason I asked was some people send out for breakfast, and I wondered if I needed to.
Me: No Moma, I'll fix your breakfast for you.

(2 hours after my sister leaves)
Moma: Did she finally leave?
Me: Who?
Moma: Dorothey
(Note: My sister's name is Sherry)

(About 8:00 one evening)
Moma: Hey! Can your daughter give me a permanent?
Me: No Moma, you would not want her to give you a permanent.
Moma: Well, can you?
Me: No Moma, we'll call Dinah and see if she'll schedule you one next time. She has to plan for those.
Moma: How much?
Me: Huh? How much for what? (I'm thinking time, money, what?)
Moma: What?????

(My great niece spent the night)
Moma: Why does her momma let her stay away from home so much?
Me: I don't know, I invited her. I love having her here.
Moma: Well her grandma don't know it. Don't tell her what I said (pointing to Erin who is IN THE ROOM!!)

Okay, so it goes without saying that we have moved to a different plane in this adventure. She is still walking the floors at all hours of the morning, visiting the bathroom MANY times a day, and sharing those visits and the details of with anyone who will listen. God forbid, don't ask her how she is. She will tell you! Grunting has become growling. And much louder. She is far more ornery than usual, and very childlike in many ways. She is beginning to pick up speed in her downhill race. Sometimes, I laugh to keep from crying. No one understands what the caretaker goes through until they become a caretaker. I don't know how much longer God will allow her to linger, but I have lost my grandmother.

No comments: