Home

Friday, January 11, 2008

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Today has been so crazy, you will say I am making it up for the sake of your entertainment on this blog. It goes in my Top 5 of "You won't believe this" list. In fact, it may be #1. Or I might just give it a category all it's own.
This morning, I went into her room to wake her up. She was sleeping very soundly. I said (as usual), "Moma, it's time to get up and eat breakfast!" She not only jumped (startled) but today she hollered! But went right back to sleep the minute I went out. Okay, this scenario was repeated about 5 times, until I said in a loud voice, "You have got to get up, I have to go to work!" So, she finally drug herself to the table. I just gave her medicine to her and left in a dash. This afternoon, my niece called and said, "Good Luck", I knew what she meant. I know that the cuckoo bird was circling my house. In a few short minutes, my daughter called, and said "Mother, you have got to get home! She is crazy!" I asked her why and this is the conversation that she reported took place when she got home from school.
She enters the back door to find Moma sitting, covered up on the couch with a blanket, but there was another blanket draped over her head.
Moma: I am so glad you are home. I have been sitting her for about 2 hours waiting for someone to tell.
Rebekah: Tell what Moma?
Moma: About that wreck. There was a wreck right up the road, and it was terrible. I tried to get them some help.
Rebekah: Moma, there wasn't a wreck when I came in, so they must have gotten help.
Moma: NO! It was terrible! I am just so upset. I have called everyone I know to come get me. (She is shaking)
Rebekah: Mother will be home in a minute. You can talk to her about it.
(Moma leaves the room and Rebekah notices the newspaper on the couch. The front page has pictures from the bad wreck that happened on the interstate last night. Moma is crying out, "Help me Jesus! I don't know, I don't know".)
When I got home, she was lying on her bed in the fetal position, talking. I heard her say something about not being able to find her pocketbook. I spoke to her, and said, "Moma, your pocketbook is right there under your table, see?" She said, "Well I know that one is there, I mean that other one that I threw out the car". (takes me by such surprise, I laugh) "The car?" I asked. Yes, you don't know what all I have been through today." I said, "What?" She said (moaning), "I got hit.....by a car, and my car........" I said in a very mellow voice, "Moma, you have on your gown. You have not been anywhere today. Joy was up here with you. You don't drive anymore. You have not been in a wreck". She said, "Only God in Heaven knows what all has happened to me".
OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's been downhill from there. She has been waiting on her husband to come (dead since 1982). She doesn't want to "see anyone without me" Not sure what that means. Then she has been talking about she "doesn't want anything to do with it" and when I questioned that, she said that it was all about getting money, and I'd hear it when they came in "blabbing". Then she "doesn't want to bother us because she knows what it is like to try to get in there". When I questioned that, she snapped on me. "I'M TALKING ABOUT GOING IN THAT PLACE WHERE WE EAT!"
Supper was from Captain D's tonight (take out), and Kerry and Rebekah got me so tickled I nearly choked! I told them if I choked to death, not to dare come to my funeral! Kelli was in charge and she'd have them tossed out!
Now, she has a small place on her face that is puffy and red. Makes me wonder if she fell. She says she hit the counter, but I don't know which one it could have been. Of course, my resident comedians said, "She hit the steering wheel in that wreck". Now that is just wrong! lol Whew! Stay tuned to this same bat channel....................

No comments: