Home

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

We have been cleaning out my grandmother's house for the past several days. I've brought home Tupperware, scarves, belts, purses, pictures, etc. My sister and I are bartering over them, which seems weird since my grandmother is alive. We did this with our parents' things, but they were long deceased when we did. Of course, I've brought her things that she would want. She picked out what she wanted of the belts, purses and scarves. She wants all the pictures (that were hanging on the walls) paraded before her so she can decide what to keep. lol Now, that her things are coming in my house on a regular basis lately, she wants so bad to be in charge and to boss. Tonight, she informed me that I was NOT to fix her plate, she'd do it herself! The only bad thing about selling her house and bringing in all her things is that she wants to tell you the story behind every piece of Tupperware, every dish, every handkerchief. lol
Other funny things....the other night she looked at me while I was trying so hard to watch a movie (which was useless) and she said, "Julie! Did you ever marry??" Then she said, "Well I thought you did.....that man......here" Don't ask me to fill in the dots because she talks in brokenness like that. Who knows what is going through her mind.
Tomorrow is more than likely my last time to enter my grandmother's home; a home where I baked cakes, learned at my grandmother's knee, cut my forehead on a dang metal tumbler, and spent many many hours of total happiness. Although I am tired and ready to be finished with all this. I am a little sad. Turning over the keys to a stranger who has no idea of the love that is within the walls of my great grandmother's home where my grandmother has lived since she was seven years old, where my precious Daddy was born and raised, and where so many of our relatives called home at some point in time is going to be hard to say the very least.
Goodbye old house.

1 comment:

cosby2 said...

I can definately relate. We were blessed to be able to sell mom and dad's house so quickly, but it was sad to hand over the keys to complete strangers. It was the house I grew up in...really the only house that I ever remember living in until I got married. It seemed so strange when I went over there last week. It wasn't my mom or dad's face looking at me when the door opened. Reality check...
Happy New Year...and try to enjoy Moma(even when she upsets you). I wish that I could hear my dad telling me for the umpteenth time that LSU was favored by 15 today.