Home

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Come Apart

I am losing it. I have had more than one come apart since December 19th (the beginning of my "holiday" with the Moma). It's a good thing my OB/GYN wrote me that script for Xanax. I have had to use it several (more than several) times. I promise, I have not become a junkie (lol), but oh how much easier it is to deal with 95 year old dementia when I am medicated.
She thinks our den (which was once the garage and is one step down from the kitchen) is outside. She refers to it as "out there". She just said, "Hurry up and come back in, I miss you when you are out there". If I had to count the times we have had the SAME conversations over and over, I'd need a scientific calculator or ??? Well, something! I don't do math.
She asks questions like "What is this?" But I know that even if I take a minute to explain to her what it is, she'll ask it again later. Her short term memory is NON-EXISTENT. However, she does remember that one of her nieces cannot visit her because she has to care for her husband who has Parkinson's Disease. Why can she remember that and not remember that 5 minutes ago she asked me what day it was????? Augh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My nerves are shot, I have to have a root canal Tuesday, and I just broke another tooth. Hurry 2008, get gone!

(sigh) Happy New Year........

2 comments:

Bob Tell said...

Caregiver burnout is a major issue for those with this awesome
responsibility. Don't overlook the role of humor to make things more
bearable. Things that made me angry and frustrated when my mother
(who had dementia)was alive, in retrospect are filled with funny
happenings. This is true too for the many caregivers who read my blog and contact me about my book which emphasizes humor as a healing
balm. Caregivers need all the emotional support they can get.
Dementia is a disease that knows no boundaries. It is blind to the
categories in which we usually place our fellow human beings. It can occur at the age of 55 or 85. It can happen to Blacks, Whites,
Hispanics, Asians, Jews, Christians, Muslims, males and females, rich and poor. It will not spare ex-presidents or ex-prime ministers. It did not spare my mother. Tears are shed by husbands and wives, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters—in fact anyone responsible for the care of a loved one with dementia.


Bob Tell, Author
Dementia Diary, A Caregiver's Journal
http://www.dementia-diary.com
http://caregiverchronicle.blogspot.com/

cosby2 said...

Ole Bob is right. You just have to use that weirdo sense of humor you have always had to get through these trying times with Moma. You and I have both laughed till we cryed (remember "sonny boy"?) haha I know Moma drives you crazy, but please don't get to the point that your quality of life is suffering more than it is benefiting her quality of life. Love you and I pray that 2009 will be better.