Home

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day or is that MILDRED day?

Today may be a day of multiple posts. So far at 10:47, it has been a doozy. My sweet unnamed husband got up and fixed us biscuits. When Precious came to eat, she said, "Ain't you got no eggs?" Then after her many complaints of the coffee being only barely warm to too hot to just cold to LEAVE IT ALONE, she began to read the paper. "Julie....is this Mother's Day?" I nodded her direction and mumbled "uh-huh". Delighted, she perked up! "Oh I didn't know this was MY day!" (Yes, Moma because it is and always has been all about YOU).
Then she started. "I used to always look forward to Mother's Day! Horace (my dad) and Billie NEVER forgot Mother's Day!! (more rambling, then...) I don't reckon you and Sherry even RECOGNIZE Mother's Day" She had the meanest snarl on her face aimed right at me. Needless to say, the urge to kill was strongest at that exact moment. I took a deep breath, and remembered my sweet mother's ability to deal with the royalness of Moma and reminded her that I had just had surgery and wasn't able to go out and do much shopping but that we were going to have a little celebration at supper tonight. I assured her she had not been forgotten by me or Sherry! I can remember how she tormented my precious mother to the point she could not even enjoy her own Mother's Day.
Happy Mother's Day Ruby Lumpkin, the BEST mother a girl could have. You understood why boots had to be a certain color, and why only Skinny Dip would do. You slipped money to me when Daddy wasn't looking. You taught me so many things and I was an ungrateful little snot. Thank you for everything you did and didn't do. I hope your day in Heaven is as beautiful as the one here. I love you.

No comments: