Home

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas 2008 (Part I)

"Greeting cards have all been sent, the Christmas rush is through...." so eloquently put by Karen Carpenter. Christmas night is peaceful. All the packages under the tree are gone, the paper and bows in the trash. Food has been put in plastic containers in the refrigerator. Parents are looking for a peaceful corner while children play with their new things. Pets are full and exhausted. Yet, the lights on the tree still shine bright not knowing that Christmas is over.
Christmas night used to depress me. I remember as a young married couple making a pact with friends to always spend that night together, playing games, and keeping the spirit of the season alive one more night. Those friends are now divorced, and I have grown older and am no longer depressed by the peacefulness of Christmas night. I feel blessed. Tired but blessed.

You didn't tune in to hear my melancholy speech. You are curious about Moma's Christmas. Well, where to begin?? Christmas Eve morning I got her up to eat breakfast and get that out of the way so I could begin cooking for our family gatherings. Rebekah has been so much help. I couldn't have gotten anything done this year without her. Thanks baby girl!
During breakfast, I told Moma that she had to get a bath, expecting a fuss and fight. She very sweetly agreed that she did. She asked if she could lie down for a few minutes first, and of course, I said she could. When she finished eating, she got up from the table and started toward me. I didn't know what to expect. She smiled that crooked smile, and put her arms around my neck. She said, "Merry Christmas! I hope you have a good Christmas!" It was so sweet. She was so good the rest of the day. She took her bath without fussing about anything. She fussed and primped over dressing for the evenings gathering at Kerry's parents' house. She changed clothes about 3 times. And the most precious....when I mixed up the Red Velvet Cake I let her lick the beater. She and I stood side by side at the sink, licking cake batter just as we had done a million times some 40 years ago. I had a rush of emotion as I considered our reversed roles. What a precious Christmas blessing.
( Christmas part II to follow)

No comments: