Home

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas 2008 Part II

Pardon the delay....just couldn't bring myself to post last night.

Where did I leave off? Oh yes! We left for Kerry's mother's house in a rain storm. Kerry got her to the car, and I carried the food. I rode in the back, so she could see where we were headed. When we got in and settled, she just sat quietly watching everyone. I fixed her plate, and sat her at the main table with all the adults. I chose to sit in the den with Rebekah and my nephews. She must have been entertaining because I heard a good bit of laughter from the dining room. Later when we were opening gifts, she got a pair of house shoes and a HUGE box of chocolate candy that I will repay Beth and Kevin for. (Oh yes....expect something dreadful to come your way soon!) She was ready to go home as soon as she opened her presents. But for the most part, she was good at Glenda's. I purposely left the hated candy in the car when we unloaded the gifts.
Christmas morning, we had to wake everyone up. We gathered in the den, as always, to open presents. I began handing them out, and she said, "Have y'all already eaten breakfast?" We told her we'd eat after we opened presents. She opened a present, then again said, "Did y'all already eat?" This happened over and over ad nauseum...........I can't even type it out because it would make me crazy all over again. Finally, needless to say, she got to eat.
She went from bad to worse. After our immediate family thing, we began to get ready for the extended family thing. Everyone was showering or dressing, putting things up, cooking, etc. She was rambling, rambling, rambling. She was in our gifts from the night before. I was moving things from the den into the study, and she was rambling through them as I moved them. She was asking a million questions. She wanted something to eat. She was cold. She wanted a drink. She couldn't be satisfied for 5 minutes. It was like being on the phone with a 3 year old in the room. Then....she remembered the candy. She began asking questions about whether we had found her candy. She'd leave the room, come back and ask again. Kerry blasted her and told her to hush or we wouldn't look for it. After hearing it for a solid hour (like a child), I went to the car and got it. I said, "If you give my dogs so much as ONE bite of this candy, I'll throw the whole box in the garbage can!!! Do you understand me???" She said, "Okay!" and trotted off to her room.
When the extended family came up, it was as if she was on stage. The truth is that if she were as cute as she thinks she is or if she were as cute as other people thinks she is, she'd be DANG cute. However, she is not cute or amusing. She is OBNOXIOUS, nasty, nosy, know-it-all, and irritating. I know, I know....I should be ashamed, but I am worn out. I am too old to have an infant to be responsible for. If I don't get out of this house soon............................

No comments: