Home

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A time to laugh....and a time to cry

It is hard for me to even think of the last few days as funny. My precious grandmother has gone down so much in the last month. Actually, I am mourning the loss of my grandmother. This empty shell that lives in my house is so sad. She apologizes for everything. She asks about family members who have passed on. She is confused about where she lives and who takes care of her money and business. The total look of helplessness in her deep blue eyes is almost more than I can bear. She sleeps more. She is so lost and confused about everything.

Last night I saw her in her bedroom holding up a night gown. I went to her and said, "Is your gown wet?" She said, "NO! My gown ain't wet!" I thought, uh-oh. Then, like a child, her eyes lit up and she said, "Let's get your husband and my husband to go talk to that woman and get her to make us some of these gowns!" She just smiled so big! All I could say was "okay", and turn and leave the room. Anther time, yesterday, she opened the bathroom door on me and said, "Have you come for her things?" I just smiled. And then while I was cleaning up the supper dishes, she kept looking in the den. She finally said, "Ain't you gone wait for those ladies in there to eat?". And I wonder who she is seeing in my house.

Yes, the Bible tells us there is a time to laugh and a time to cry. I'm not laughing..........

No comments: