Home

Monday, June 20, 2011

Practical

I haven't posted any of the practical stuff I have learned through this. And this is supposed to help those who might face this plight one day. So here are just a few things I have learned.

  • Keep a bicycle lock for the refrigerator. Standing with the door open, looking and prodding becomes habit. 
  • Lock all medicines in a container stored out of reach.
  • If you value your personal grooming items, lock them in your bathroom closet lest you come in and find your granny lathering up with your Bath and Bodyworks lotion.
  • By placing a bell on doors, you can keep up with when they try to go out. I have one on my refrigerator and on the bathroom closet, just in case someone forgets to lock it back.
  • Keep doors closed to areas you do not want them in. Sometimes it is a deterrent.
  • Keep a night light somewhere close outside their bedroom door. Mainly so they are not afraid when they look out in the middle of the night.
  • Close air-conditioning vents close to their bed. I found magnetic covers at Wal-Mart. I just put it up during the winter.
  • Child proof your home as if you had an autistic 4 year old set of twins living with you.
  • Put up family pictures or any other memorabilia that will cause confusion. You can't imagine how valuable this piece of information will be to you. Dementia causes them to get very confused over family things.
  • NEVER NEVER let your loved one stay alone while you "run a quick errand". I came home from Dollar General (less than 2 miles away) to find Moma had let the dogs out and she was roaming the yard. Thank God for Chris Haney, who kept her at bay until I got back.
  • This is something I still struggle with: Do not let little things make you crazy!!!
  • Keep a bottle of Valium or a 5th of Vodka handy, you will need it! LOL
It is not an easy road. Many times it is nasty, smelly, and just plain awful. But, it is also rewarding. I don't recommend this, but if you choose to do it, pray a lot, and stick with it to the end. The worst part of it is that my time is NEVER my own. I have NO freedom. But with God's blessings, I am sure that I will reap the gift of time soon. The best piece of advice I can offer is LAUGH.... a lot.

2 comments:

cosby2 said...

Great tips and I used many of them taking care of mom and dad. And true...you have to laugh. That is the only thing that keeps you half sane!! Hang in there.

Ashley said...

I nearly wet my pants when I got to the autistic 4 year old twins... of course I am almost 8 months pregnant so nearly wetting my pants is kinda normal :) LOL... You crack me up!