Home

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Back Track

Forgive me for the back track, but I simply must report on Friday. It was a day of craziness.

I awoke a bit late and hit the floor running. I won't bore you with those details, but just know that everything that could go wrong, did. I wasn't ready to get Moma up for breakfast until 6:40 which is about 20 minutes later than usual. As I normally do, I went into her bedroom, turned off her lamp, and called out to her to wake up and come eat breakfast. I try not to startle her because she startles me when she jumps and hollers, plus the dog barks at me if I am too loud or if I make her jump. She would shake her head and say "Okay" but her eyes were not open. I repeated this MANY times, and finally went over to her, and touched her, so she jumped and hollered and the dog nearly bit me. I began trying to get her house shoes on her, but she kept holding up her leg and dropping it. I finally got them on, and helped her sit up, but she was like rubber. If I hadn't known better, I'd thought she was sloppy drunk. I finally got her to the table. She couldn't sit up straight, kept falling over sideways. She couldn't find her mouth with the spoon, and took her meds like she was paralyzed. I'd say, "Eat your oatmeal" and she'd say, "Whur?". Then I thought, Oh my gosh, she has gone blind! I called the school to let them know that I would be late because she was not cooperating. Back to the table for more madness. I finally called my sister and said, "GET DOWN HERE". When she arrived, she begin to ask Moma to do little things like lift her arm, and put her hand to her mouth. But she'd do it but hold it there like a DRUNK! Sherry said, "Do you know me?" Moma said, "Who are you?" She said, "I'm Sherry, your grandaughter". She said, "Good to know you". Sherry said, "What is your name?" Moma said, "I ain't got one". Sherry said, "Yes, your name is Mildred". She got this briar eating grin on her face, and just laughed, then said, "Well, HELLO Mildred!" and laughed some more. It was at this point that we knew we were either going to the doctor's office or the ER. So we get her up to change her and put on some fresh clothes. To keep from being too graphic, just let me say that after her bathroom visit, we suspected another UTI. So off to the doctor we went. (Wow, this is a long post!) You have to know that Moma always "shows out" at the doctor's office because to her, it is very important that you get a good "report card". She says that she is fine, and nothing hurts, and well...you get the idea. They took us right back, and got a specimen, then put her into a room. She told them she felt fine, and no it did not burn to go to the bathroom. (sigh) Anyway, she has a RAGING UTI again. And they make old people crazy as an outhouse rat. All the way home, she begged to go out to eat. SHE WAS IN HER GOWN AND HOUSECOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We reminded her of that, and she said, "I don't care". We got her home, and Sherry chose to stay with her. I got to school at 11:30 on the nose! Whew! There is more to tell, but I am bushed. Stay tuned.

No comments: