Home

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Moma's Big Day

I meant to post this last night, but just plain got too lazy to do it. My book is getting so good, I can't put it down. Sorry!
Yesterday I had to stay at home with Moma because our sitter had a doctor's appointment. It was beauty shop day, so if I have to stay home, that is a good day to do it. I got up around 7ish, fixed her coffee and was getting her breakfast ready, expecting her to come in any minute. When she had not come by 7:30, I went to her room. There she lay in all her royal glory fully dressed head to toe covered up sound asleep! There is no telling how long she had been dressed. She even had on her glasses. I woke her up to come eat. She was very confused about the day, but came into the kitchen with me. I guess me being home during the week was a little confusing. She tried to feed the dog her muffin, but I caught her. I warned her. "If you do that, we will NOT go out to lunch today". Her response? "SHIT!" and threw it back into her plate. After breakfast, there was still an hour before time for us to leave. I had cleared the table and was busying myself with feeding the dogs, cats, etc. I looked up and she had her head on the table. I woke her up and assured her she had time to go back and lie down.
When it was time to leave, I went to get her up. I looked down and saw her white shoes and white purse. I just casually said (for those of you who know this is a pet peeve of mine, I wasn't mean to her) "Moma, it is past Labor Day. Next time, wear the black shoes". When we got into the car, she said, "I ain't got no business wearing these white shoes! Why didn't you tell me?" I won't mention every time she said something about the white shoes, but she was torn up over them all day.
When I picked her up at the beauty shop, she was ready to go eat. We went to wash the car first, and then I asked her if she wanted to go get some of that potato soup that she loved from Logans. She said "okay". When we got there, the hostess said she only had tables available. I told her that would be fine, but I knew it would NOT! Moma hates tables in the middle of the floor. She ALWAYS wants a booth. She was going to complain, but I shushed her. Our cute little waiter came and got our drink orders. The next table became occupied by 2 women. Their drinks came before ours (different server) and Moma pointed (yes, pointed!) at them and said loudly, "We were here before them!!" Again, I shushed her. We ordered when our drinks arrived. She began picking at everything on the table. I knew the peanuts would be a problem. And they were. She tried to eat a few, but couldn't so she began loading up her purse with peanuts. I said, "Moma, if you cannot eat them here, why are you taking them home?" She whispered to me like it was a big secret "I'm gonna crack them when I get home". Our food came. She began complaining about her soup right off the bat. It had cheese in it. She kept cheese stringing from her mouth to the bowl the whole time. She asked for a piece of chicken from my salad, then looked up at me so confused and said, "There ain't a bit of chicken in my soup!" "Well that would be because it is POTATO soup!" The little waiter was so kind, and she was so rude (but then again, she always is). I paid the check, got a drink in a go cup (and of course she had to have one). I put my purse on my arm and she yelled out "I ain't ready to go!!" The urge to strangle her was so strong....I let her sit about 5 more minutes and then I just got up. I was leaving with or without her! When we started out, I said, "I need to go to Wal-Mart" She said, "Oh Goody! Can I go?" I told her that she could but she had to ride in a wheel chair. She agreed wholeheartedly. So off we went! When we got to Wal-Mart, she begged to sit in the car. Of course, I said no. Then as we walked to the front door, she said, "Well where IS Wal-Mart?" Then, we had to wait on them to bring us a chair. When she saw it coming, she said, "Oh I ain't riding in a wheel chair!" I said, "Okay, then let's go home". She happily got into the chair then. She was so good in the wheel chair. I would not mind taking her more often if she'll ride. The only funny thing she did after that was beg for a bag of M&Ms in the check-out line. I feel like I am raising a child.

No comments: