Home

Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Show Begins

We arrived home from Gatlinburg on Monday, November 12th. My grandmother had spent the night before with my sister and was with her on Monday. My sister had to miss work to keep her, but did willingly. After we had been home about an hour or so, my sister delivered our new resident to us. She was a little confused, but seemed in pretty good spirits. We got supper, and prepared for the night. She was very restless, and nervous. She laid down early (about 7:00), but woke again at 9ish. She was "freezing to death" as she put it. Our house has central gas heat, but she is used to an infrared gas heater that she keeps BLAZING full blast all the time. I put socks on her feet and settled her back down. She awoke several more times. She walked the floors complaining of being cold, but I am almost sure she was terrified. She shook and begged for me to hold her. I gave her a Tylenol PM in her meds at 7, but had to give her another one around 9:00. It had not kicked in obviously. I was tempted to give her another one. She was up at midnight until about 2 am. I finally got her down and she seemed to rest better.
I took Tuesday off to take care of her, and take my daughter to the doctor. She had twisted her ankle while we were gone and it was terribly swollen. I left Moma at home while we went and came home to her freaking out. She said she hated being alone. She has lived alone for many years, but I know the break-in caused this. Anyway, she slept much better Tuesday night. Each day that goes by sees a little progress in her being settled at my house. Hopefully time will be our friend.
Let me jump ahead a few days to today. You have to know that my grandmother is quite a character! She is sassy and makes us all laugh at things she says and does. She and my sister fight quite a bit over stupid things. Well, today, I got up with intentions of going to pick up my Angel Food (Angel Food Ministries), and go to the grocery store. The man called who was going to put up the blind in my kitchen window. I told him that I'd call him when I returned from getting my Angel Food. She began to get dressed. When I asked her what she was doing, she replied, "I'm putting on my clothes!" She had made up her mind that we would go to her house today and get more of her things. Well, long story short, when we finally got there, I had intended to go on to Wal-Mart after we left her house, but she started dragging stuff out of the refrigerator and freezer. I said, "Moma, we can't take those things, we are going to Wal-Mart. That ice cream will melt!" She slammed the freezer door and said, "WHY IN THE SHIT DIDN'T WE GO TO WAL-MART FIRST???" Now you have a tiny picture of my world. More later.....

No comments: