Home

Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Beginning of the End

First I want to explain my blog. First of all "Moma" is pronounced Maw-Maw. My grandmother cannot spell very well and she has always written it as Moma, so be it. She is 94 years old and still somewhat sassy; as sassy as a 94 year old can be.
This little lady spent the early part of my life raising me. My mother went back to work after I was born, and I became the day time responsibility of my grandmother. I will reflect on that raising a little later, but must set up my blog for now.
She has lived alone since my grandfather died on New Years Eve 1983. She has always been independant and self-sufficient. She drove her 1968 Plymouth Satelite until she was 89 years old. She had a little mishap, and became afraid of the car, not driving. This was a blessing though because we would have NEVER gotten her keys away from her.
She has outlived her siblings, several husbands, and her children. Most of her friends are dead. She has been lonely for a friend for a few years now. She cannot hear it thunder, so talking on the phone is out. She needs a visit now and again from someone who cares (besides my sister and me).
The reason for my blog: Last weekend I was away on my yearly trip to Gatlinburg, TN for my anniversary and to do major Christmas shopping. While I was in a toy store, my daughter called me hysterically crying that someone had broken in on my grandmother and stole her billfold and tried to rape her. My life crashed around me as I tried to pay for my purchases and get out of that store. I sat down at a table in the food court, shaking all over. I called my sister. They were in the ER with her doing the rape kit. My grandmother was so upset and nervous, but thank God she really couldn't remember why.
Now, that said, (because that is ALL the attention I want to give to a low life who would do this), I have moved my grandmother into my home. I will keep this diary of her day to day activities and mine for her legacy and my sanity. Feel free to leave me comments. If you have an elderly person in your life, PROTECT them with all you have! The Bible commands that we care for the widows.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

(((Julie))) If you need me, I am here. Love, Lisa