Home

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday

So far today, the only thing Moma has done is try to hide food in her housecoat pocket, so I thought I'd share a memory from my childhood.

My grandmother could cook the BEST country fried steak and gravy, fried potatoes and biscuits. That was my birthday meal every year. As she got older, she couldn't handle all that cooking at one time, so I'd go down and help her with getting the biscuits in the oven and frying the potatoes, but NOBODY did the steak but her. Somehow, she could get the steak so brown with thick crust, and she would always save me the crust that fell off (and that was the best part). I would eat until I nearly exploded. There was cantaloupe with every meal from the time cantaloupes hit the produce section of Food World until there were no more. Now I don't drink tea, but according to my family, her tea was the very best and sweet but not too sweet. My brother-in-law calls my tea "rockgut" (it's hard to make it right when you don't drink it). After the meal, we always went to the porch and sat in her swing and rockers, unless, of course, March was still cold, as it sometimes is. I always carried what left-overs there were home, and everyone knew that they were MINE!!

I miss my grandmother.....

No comments: