Home

Monday, February 16, 2009

The Waiting Game

Moma and I play this stupid game. After a meal, she takes something like a half eaten cookie or roll and folds it up in a napkin. She attempts to conceal it in her hand by putting it in her lap or covering it with the other hand. And then she looks around, like nothing is up. She watches me out of the corner of her eye as I do the same to her. She is waiting for me to leave the kitchen so she can feed the wrapped up item to my dogs. I am waiting on her to get up so I can wrestle the neatly wrapped bundle from her. I walk around the kitchen attempting to appear to be busy. I catch glimpses of her over my shoulder. She pretends to be content sitting at the table "finishing" her tea which is now only ice but she swears that she is not finished and continues to drink from the glass. This goes on for several minutes before I completely lose my mind and ask "Are you finished?" Then she looks at me as if I have two heads and says, "NO, I am not finished!" like I make a habit of taking her food away from her too soon. She keeps that offended look on her face as I walk away. Finally, I cannot stand it anymore...."You are not taking that to your room or feeding it to my dogs either!" Then she puts on her innocent act...."Why, I'm not going to feed this to the dogs!! I want to keep this so I'll have a little snack after while" YEAH RIGHT, and I just fell off the turnip truck!!
"Oh the games people play now, every night and every day now, never meaning what they say now, never saying what they mean"

2 comments:

jennypilgrim said...

I pray for you daily.

cosby2 said...

Ok...who sang that song...it's driving me crazy!!! Ann's (mother's caretaker) dog was the best fed dog in Alabama while mother was alive. She always told Ann to cook Spooky an egg when she was cooking mother's. If she didn't mother always would save Spooky some of hers.