Home

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Can I have a cookie? Please??

Tonight while I was cooking supper, Moma came into the kitchen and announced that she didn't want to eat, that she was going to bed. She said, "If I go to sleep, don't wake me up to eat". I just agreed because that is easier. We ate in shifts anyway due to everyone having a different schedule. So, I went down to her room and she was semi-awake, so I said, "Come eat some supper. You need to take your medicine anyway." So she came to the kitchen. I fixed her plate while she rambled around with everything on the table. I didn't fix her much because she always hollers, "That's too much! I can't eat all that!" She immediately begin taking one bite, feeding the dogs, taking turn about. I told her to stop that I didn't put much on her plate, but I expected her to eat it all. She said, "ok". When I turned my back, I saw her out of my side vision, toss the dogs a bite. I turned back around and just stood there. I said, "I am going to watch you eat it". She balked, so I got her medicine and sat down beside her with her medicine in my hand. She said in a gruff voice, "WHY CAN'T I FEED THEM?" I reminded her that they get fed, and that she only had a small portion, that she needed to eat it all, that she needed the nurishment. I reminded her that Dr. Robinson wanted her to gain some weight. She said, "ok", but I knew she was going to feed them if I got up. Earlier, I had baked some cookies, that were on a plate on the table. She asked me several times what they were. She knew, she just wanted me to tell her. Finally, she said, "Gimme a cookie". I said, "Okay, when you eat all that chicken". She was so insulted, she said, "I am going to eat all my chicken", and poo-pooed me away. I got up to check on the last batch in the oven, and she reached across the table and snatched the plate. I pulled it back, and said "EAT!" She was so mad. I sat back down. She looked at me like a child, and said "Please can I have a cookie?" I told her that she only had 2 bites of chicken left to eat those and she could have a cookie. She ate one, and pretended to accidentally knock the other one in the floor. If she was my child, I'd have smacked her hand. But she isn't. She is my 94 year old grandmother who has become the child, and me the mother in this cruel twist of fate. I gave her a cookie.
And when I turned my back, she took 2 more.

1 comment:

cosby2 said...

Reminds me so much of my dad. He didn't have much of an appetite the last 3 months of his life. His most famous words that Janna and I now use when the question is asked "What would you like to eat"? "just a little something sweet I reckon" haha We were glad to get him to eat anything!! The last day of his life after not eating for 2 days...he asked for one of those little vanilla ice cream cones in the freezer. He ate the whole thing and died 4 hours later (with a smile on his face)!! That's the way I want to go!!!!! Love you