Home

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Looking back

It must be easy to assess a situation that you have no investment in and pass off your advise. I love my family, but until you take Moma into your house and have her totally disrupt your life and ways of doing things, and stop all your comings and goings without having to make arrangements...please stop advising me. I appreciate your concern for her. She is well taken care of, fed 3 meals a day plus a ka-jillion snacks, she is bathed and her clothes are washed. I am doing the best I can and any time you want to take on this mission, even for a weekend, let me know. If you love her and are really concerned about her, come visit her, send her a card, buy her a milkshake or gum. Your once a year voice of concern has been heard and duly noted. You are now free to return to your life. Laughter is all I have. Do not try to take it from me. God equipped me with it to deal with this mission. Remember, he doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called. Enough said on that. You know who you are.

The family reunion is always fun to me, as our family is full of jokers and sweet funny people. My dad could gather with his cousins and they would cut up for hours. I miss him, especially at the reunion. He loved his family. Moma loves her family too, even if she isn't sure who they are. She smiles and nods, and in that little head thinks "Who in the cat hair is that?" She yelled out during announcements that she couldn't hear anything he was saying. She didn't know they were honoring her because she was too busy asking me a million questions. I had to tell her, and her response? "Good". But oh how she loves a spread of food. This year, I let her get in line and tell me what to put on her plate. She had one scoop of just about everything on the table. Her food was in layers. The plate was seriously so full, I wasn't sure I could get it to the table. She ate every bite!!!! And after surveying all our plates, sent Sherry and Erin back for more. AND OF COURSE, she wrapped her up a "go package". I caught her putting BBQ meat in a napkin and sliding it into her purse. I took it out in front of her and tried to explain that she could take home some food, but that we were going to put it on a plate. I went and got a plate and gave it to her wanting her to put the BBQ meat on it. Instead she got up and went back to the table and got 4 BBQ chicken thighs, brought it back to the table, and turned around and swiped someones foil from a basket under the table and wrapped it up....left the plate on the table!!!!!!!!!! As soon as her "take out" was secured, she was ready to go. I sent Erin with her to the bathroom so I could confiscate the foil package and check her purse for other contraband. As soon as she came out, she wanted to go.....never mind that families were making pictures, cousins were chatting, and I wasn't really ready to go. But then again....it is all about her.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I can't imagine what you have to go through but I know my Mom does. Please know that you are not alone in this. You are an awesome granddaughter!

Unknown said...

You ARE an awesome granddaughter, and an awesome person. As we are the same age, I can honestly say that I would not be as capable as you to take on such a great responsibility. In my life I have learned for certain - things are always easy - as long as someone else is doing it. Heads up, Jewels.....you're doing a terrific job.

Unknown said...

Do you need me to smack somebody around? ...cause I totally will!

Anonymous said...

Ive been following your blog for awhile...for the humor and partly b/c as a young mother of 2 small children, its nice to know that we arent perfect as care givers..thats it normal that I have feelings of "who are these children and why are they calling me mom?!" days..Keep up the good work, these tasks are not ones that anyone can handle, thats why God presents these opportunities to the few :)

Julie Payne said...

Thanks guys for your kind remarks. I am doing what I do for her...even though I joke a lot. I will take care of her NO MATTER WHAT.