Home

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Whiiiiiining

Now, nobody hates whining like ME! I spent ten years teaching kindergarten listening to little girls (and a few boys) singing everything they said. It was like an eternal country song. But....I must do a little whining myself. In advance, I ask for forgiveness.
The grunting is so bad that I want to drive a nail in my forehead. She has more of a growl, than a grunt. And it is NEVER ENDING!!!!!!! When we bring it to her attention, and ask her to breathe through her nose, she over does it and over exaggerates it. Then she uses her favorite phrase, "I can't help it". Standing over me grunting, growling, sighing, and coughing makes me totally crazy! Aughhhhh!!!
Next what drives me crazy is the rambling and roaming through my house. She opens every bag, rambles through my purse, moves and rearranges things on the table, the counter, and the bar. She steals little things. She stumbles and staggers like a drunk, but that doesn't stop her endless roaming and rambling. And of course, while she is roaming, she is grunting.
The next complaint is that she asks the same questions over and over and over. "What's today?" "What time is it?" "Where's your momma?" And that is only 3 of the 40 questions I answer over and over every day. It's like that episode of Grey's Anatomy where those 3 women were in a car accident, and one had head trauma. Izzy Said "She resets about every 15 minutes" I said, "BINGO!" That is what Moma does, and she has had NO head trauma.
One of the biggest things I hate is how nasty she is. She will drink after anyone. You must watch your drink because she'll grab it. You can never use any of the towels in the bathroom, because you don't know what she has wiped with it. She rubs random creams and potions on her back side, so I have to hide mine behind lock and key. Okay, I have ranted about this kind of thing before. So....I'll stop.
Another thing I absolutely cannot stand is a new one. She is eating like a lost dog. I mean, every 30 minutes, she is ready for a new meal or snack. She can get up from a meal, go to her room, and return in 10 minutes hunting something to eat. I need some help here. Has she forgotten that she just ate? Is she really hungry? The doctor had her on Megase (spelled wrong probably) which is to aid her appetite. Well we weaned her off of it because she is eating so well. Now that she is not taking this appetite aid, she is eating like mad!! I am wondering if the medicine was holding her back. This is seriously a problem. She begs food from other people, no matter who they are. She wants a "bite" of everything anyone eats. The only way to keep her from wanting what you have is to eat when she eats and to eat exactly what she eats. IT IS DRIVING ME ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone have any thoughts on this??
And yes, in case you wondered, she is still feeding my dogs, and making me nuts!
So....am I mean? Is this ugly? No, it is reality. My whole purpose for writing this blog was to be a support or encouragement to someone who may experience this in their life. I get so tired of all the sappy sweet "grandma living with us" stories. People need to know, it is NOT fun. It is work! It is a full time job, and it never goes away. It is tiring, stressful, and not pleasant. So, why do I do it? I do it because a) she is my grandmother b) she raised me, this is the least I can do for her c) my parents would want me to do this d) she is my responsibility, not a nursing home, not the government and finally e) I don't want someone to be mean to her. I mean, I want to kill her 40% of the time, so I know how obnoxious she would be to folks who don't know her. It is the RIGHT thing for me to do. I am just being brutally honest.
Is it worth it? Yes it is. I have no regrets.

1 comment:

cosby2 said...

I have no idea if taking her off the medicine would make her even hungrier. Doesn't seem like it would and you said you weened her off of it. My parents were the opposite and didn't want to eat. Could she have some type of parasite? I hope you made it to Gatlinburg. I know you needed a break.