Home

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Weekend Reverse....well, until Sunday

My mother used to tell me that you get out of life what you put in to it. So, I decided to stop complaining about being stuck at home with Moma and get her out. So, she went on tour this weekend.
Friday night (or late afternoon), I took her to the BBQ festival at Noccalula Falls (Smoke on the Falls). It was quite warm (and I am quite chubby) so needless to say after pushing her in her wheelchair from Jack's to the entrance parking, I was sweating bullets. I tried to smile anyway, since I am the first lady of Parks and Recreation. I wouldn't want any negative reflection for Kerry. I strolled her around the parking lot basically looking for the tent where I was invited to eat by David Burroughs and Book Systems, just so I would know where I needed to be later. As soon as I found it, we headed back to the first aisle for ICE CREAM. If you haven't eaten Wills Creek Ice Cream, you haven't eaten ice cream! I ordered us a small vanilla and a small (I wanted large) peach. It was so good, I woofed mine down in just a few short minutes. Ahhh.....but Mildred was too concerned about "it's too much" and "I can't eat all this" so she began offering hers to strangers. Finally, I said, "Look, these people do not know you and they do NOT want your ice cream. Eat what you want, and I will throw away the rest, and we are not going to discuss it anymore. Please let me enjoy this!!" Went in one ear and out the other. She offered it to 2 little girls passing. I took it away from her and tossed it, and played deaf to her rebuttal! We saw Diane, one of Kerry's friends and employees. She sent us to the VIP tent to get something to eat. I fixed Moma a piece of chicken and a bag of chips and a bottle of water, I got a hot dog PERIOD. Love hot dogs on the grill.....mmmmmm! Moma cleaned that up within a few minutes, but wanted to save the chip crumbs (which I disposed of later behind her back). We listened to the music awhile and then headed to the tent for our real dinner. I had no intentions of eating much. HA! They had a big spread, and we both ate! Moma cleaned up that plate too. She asked for a take-out but I told her that wasn't allowed. I figured she would be ready to go home. It was 8:30. As we headed back down toward the stage, I asked, "Are you tired? Ready to go home?" She spun her head around and said, "Well  I thought we'd stay a LITTLE while! Let's at least hear the music!" So I found a place to park her but I either had to stand or sit on the ground, well, the parking lot because the ground was wet. She leaned down to me and said, "Would you go buy me a bag of popcorn?" LORD! I headed that way and one of Kerry's employees gave me a bag she had. We saw Kerry's parents and some other friends. Moma was a big hit, and she was having a ball. When I finally convinced her to leave, I told her that we were going to stop and get Christopher my free BBQ (I had 4 tickets). We started out, and she said, "What is that?" "Pork Skins" I told her. "Well, I wish you would buy us some". I ignored her. When we finally got to the truck, I was exhausted from pushing her and carrying my big ole purse. I put the BBQ sandwiches in the back and she was quick to say, "Hey I want one of them!" Ugh....
Then Saturday morning, I got up and decided that I was going to the mall and Wal-Mart. Christopher was at work and Rebekah was in the bed sick. I dressed up the little princess and off we went.  She enjoyed herself and for the most part, I enjoyed having her out. She saw some "hooker" shoes and said, "WHO IN THE HELL WEARS SHOES LIKE THAT?" I had to remove her from the Shoe Dept. so the little children in there would not have their ears catch ablaze. I bought her a milkshake from Chik-Filet to hopefully shut her mouth. This motley crew passed us in Belks and she said, something under her breath. I thought I was going to have to tackle her. Thank God she didn't see any ghetto fabulous folk or the N bomb would have dropped. She was fairly good the rest of the day. Wal-Mart was fun pushing her in her chair and my grocery cart filled to the tune of $200 worth of nothing really, certainly no real food. Why do I continue going there for groceries? I was really worn out when we got home. She napped and was really good. But......
Sunday morning she got up with her Bossy Pants on. She has bossed and asked stupid questions all day. I am ready to go to work. I would go now if I could. At least I enjoyed Friday night and Saturday with her. Nobody promised me a rose garden.

2 comments:

cosby2 said...

I'm glad that y'all got out and had fun. At least you worked off calories pushing her around for two days!!!

Julie Payne said...

True! and I am building up my biceps!