Home

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Saturday

Today I am sad for my cyber-friend, Ashley, she lost her grandfather. Her mom was in my situation being a caregiver to a dependent independent elderly person. Ashley made a great point on her recent blog about her grandfather. She observed that making them aware that they are dependent on us for the basics of life, is not doing anything but making us crazy and disrespecting them. I know that I never think of myself as a 51 year old woman. I think of myself as a 30-something strong-willed, super woman, who can do anything she sets her mind to. So I imagine it is the same way with elderly people, especially those who are mentally challenged due to dementia. Her grandfather, like my strong-willed grandmother, did not think about himself as a weakling who depended on his child (or in my case grandchild) for life. Ashley made me re-think my attitude. I know that I will still go crazy with her and want to kill her from time to time, but at least I am aware that she thinks about herself as someone who is able to do anything. Thanks Ashley.....you are wise beyond your years!

1 comment:

DeDe said...

Thank you. I think she is amazing also, but I'm her Mom. I certainly understand and sympathize with your struggles and will continue to pray for you and your family. Dana