Home

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Children are a gift from God

I have always heard and thought that children were God's gift to us. That is the FIRST childhood. My grandmother is going through her LAST childhood. Ugh....

My children have always delighted in the annual making of Christmas goodies. I fill tins for our neighbors and friends with various things the kids and I have made. This has been a family tradition for 24 years. I love to give to other people. I love the goodness brought out of people at Christmas time....yes, I realize I am a little hokey about Christmas. BUT, cooking these tasty treats with Moma in the house is a nightmare. If you are a long time reader, you know from Christmases past how she acts. If you haven't read them, go back to the archives and pull it up. Precious.

Yesterday, after I fed her breakfast, I decided to try to throw something easy together when she went back for her mid-morning siesta. As usual, a mistake. I was pouring the chocolaty mixture into the pan for it to set, and I heard her coming. She asked the usual questions, and then went and stood over the pan. "Can I have one when you cut them?" she asked. "Sure" was my quick reply. She walked around the house a few minutes, and went back to bed (she had not gotten her nap out). While she slept, I cut the cookies and put them into tins. In just a bit, I heard her. She walked straight to the place where the pan, now in the sink, had been. Now, for someone who cannot remember what day it is and has to be told 49 times a day, her mind was fixated around this pan of chocolate oatmeal cookies and held fast. "Ohhh, I wanted one of them cookies...." she said very disappointed. I smiled to myself. "Sit down at the table and I'll get you one". She sat down and I got her a cookie and a glass of milk. Thinking all was well with the world, I returned to my vacuuming in the den. In a minute, I thought I heard her calling me. I turned off the vacuum to hear "I WANT ANOTHERRRRRR ONNNNNNNNNNE!" Great, my 4 year old autistic child wants another cookie.

I could go on and on. She was awful yesterday. She was in to everything. She got in the sacks of gifts waiting to me wrapped. She got into all the ingredients for other goodies I had on the counter. She rambled through the mail. I love Christmas, but with her, it is a train wreck Christmas. So, don't ask why I only have one tree this year. Don't ask about my lighted wreath on my chimney outside. Don't look for my snowman collection or any other Christmas lovelies. I am doing good to have a tree this year.

No comments: