Home

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Working in the Cotton Mill

Yesterday when I got home from school (last day until August!) Moma was taking her afternoon nap, so I was in the kitchen getting a snack and drink. I heard her door open. She proceeded down the hall, and I could hear her talking, but I wasn't sure to whom or what she was actually saying. I turned around about the time she came into the kitchen, and there was that "I'm on another plane" look on her face. She said, "Julie, fix them like they orta be". Puzzled, I looked at her and said, "Fix what?" She said, "Down there where we work". Now, amused, I wanted to hear more. I said, "Moma what are you talking about?" She said, quite disgusted with my ignorance, "OUR JOBS!!! Down there where we do our jobs!! Fix it back like it orta be!" I said, "Show me". She confidently said, "Come on!" Of course when we got to her room, there was nothing out of place. She said, "Well....I don't see it now" God love her heart,she was working in that cotton mill again. It must have been real to her! I am mourning the loss of my grandmother, she is really gone.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Julie, your post brings to mind something Layke said when my grandmother passed away at age 94. He said, "My grandmother was gone a long time ago." Somehow it made it easier on him, but it is so sad to see the person you once knew turn into a stranger.