Home

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Grandmother or Superhero?

Today, I was watching Moma from down the hall. She had just used the bathroom on the deck while feeding the dogs food that I told her NOT to feed them. She came in and said, "Well, I've got to get me on some drawers". I nearly freaked out! She was wet all over. I went to get towels for the floor, and saw her step into her closet. She backed into the closet and kind of ducked down. I figured she got her clothes and came out. I entered her bedroom from mopping up my floors from the deck to her room, and there she stood in her closet (still backed in) BUCK NAKED! It was like watching a superhero change in a phone booth. I mean she was totally in the buff. Without all the details, I got her out, cleaned her up, changed her clothes, and deposited her wet things in the bathroom.
Later today, I was reading in the den, and heard the front door open. I jumped up for fear she'd freed my dogs which she tries to do daily. She was dumping the poopoo pad (for the dogs) over the porch rail. She never saw me. I stood back and watched. She skated over to the piano and began to play, moving her hands like a master, literally banging and playing nothing, but looking good! Then she skated out to her room like that was normal behavior.
I was at the beach last weekend, and of course, I worked all week, so I have missed this decline in sensible behavior. There are fewer and fewer times that she is my precious little grandmother. She is either sad and lonely or nutty as a fruitcake. She says, "I don't have any friends any more". This afternoon, I was sitting in the den with her and she got up to go to the bathroom. She came back and said, "Where'd she go?" I said, "Who?" She said, "That woman that was sitting in here with us". Freaky.
I reminded Rebekah today that when I get to this point, put me in a nursing home. No regrets. I never want her to feel about me like I do Moma sometimes. If you think this labor of love is not taxing, try it if you are woman enough.

No comments: