Home

Monday, December 5, 2011

Martha's grouchy older sister

Have you met Martha Stewart's grouchy older sister? Mildred has been passing out advice like Martha does on her show, only it's NOT a good thing. She knows where best to place the tree. Because my dear sweet husband chose to redo our floor right here at Christmas, I figured we would just put the tree up in the living room, and not have one in the den, and since we gave our big tree to the Christmas light display at Noccalula Falls, I only have the pencil tree that I  normally put my mother's ornaments on in our living room. AND since Mildred has broken so many of my mother's ornaments, I bought cheap ugly ornaments from Dollar General for that tree. So anyway, I was getting the tree up when Mildred woke up from her catnap (She would not stay in the bed yesterday). She sat back and watched for a minute, and I knew it was coming....she began to offer her assistance. "Julie, why you gone hide that tree in that co-ner? Put it in front of the winder so people can see it!" I ignored her for a few minutes but when she began to scream at me, it was impossible to keep that up. I said, "I like it here because it is the first thing you see when you come in the door, and you can see it from the dining room windows at night". "Awwww. shit! You're too damn lazy to move the furniture, that's it" I kept doing my thing. Then she began to stiffen up like a 4 year old on the verge of a tantrum and then I heard "PUT IT BY THE WIIIIIIINNNNNNDDDDDDEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" She held it our for so long, I thought she might pass out. So, in my most adult way, I looked at her and said, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" It was a good thing.

2 comments:

cosby2 said...

I hate that she has broken many of your mother's ornaments. I have several of my mother's that I treasure and I think of her every time that I hang them on the tree. It makes me feel that she is here for Christmas in some little way.

Julie Payne said...

Jane, I loved the ornaments! I can maybe fix a couple of them but I kept the pieces because they are a piece of my life. I remember them as a chubbette growing up on Cansler Ave.