Home

Monday, November 21, 2011

Never hit a lick at a snake

I have heard this phrase all my life to describe lazy people. But I realize now, that it is not just fitting for lazy people but for royalty too. Moma has bossed me all day. She wants it done yesterday. She wants it done her way. She wants ME to do it, whatever it is. At the breakfast/lunch/supper table, when she finishes with her meal, she will shove her empty plate/bowl at me. She pushes the empty pill cup toward me. She will even wad up her napkins and flick them toward me. She really wants me to clear all that right then. I want to shove it all back at her and scream "I DO NOT WORK FOR YOU!" It would be different (well, it might be) if she had worked hard all her life to make a way for her family. But no, she never hit a lick at a snake. She may have worked a few years at the cotton mill, but that was only until she snagged a husband. Her mother raised her children. Papaw even vacuumed because she couldn't push that heavy "vackum" cleaner for various reasons (hernia, hemorrhoids, etc.). She cooked, but only when she wanted to, what she wanted to REGARDLESS that my Papaw was a heart patient. She is the product of being the youngest child in a large family; spoiled by her father, her brother and her mother. Then her poor husband had to pick up the satin pillow and tote her. When he died, my father picked it up. When he was killed, my mother carried on the tradition of toting Mildred. Now she is mine. THANKS Y'ALL!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I were you I would put her in an old folk's home and let them put up with her. Live your life and let the State worry about hers. An occasional visit would be more appreciated then and you can go on in a normal way with yours.